What is sleeve gastrectomy?
Tube stomach surgery is to remove most of the stomach and leave the stomach as a narrow long tube. The removed part constitutes approximately 80% of the stomach volume. It is a surgery that limits the amount of food we eat. Serious and long-lasting vitamin deficiencies are not observed in most patients because it does not impair absorption.
Gastric sleeve surgery reduces appetite!
The most important benefit of sleeve gastrectomy, which allows us to make changes in life style, is to reduce appetite. The appetite hormone “ghrelin” is secreted from the extracted part of the stomach. Due to the decrease in the amount of this hormone after the operation, the appetite is not seen as before. This situation makes life easier, healthier and more sustainable.
What is the preparation and operation process for sleeve gastrectomy?
There is a 2-day preparation period before the operation. The presence of a condition that prevents surgery or a disease that prevents you from losing weight is investigated.
The operation takes between 40 minutes and 1.5 hours. After the operation, patients can stand up in the 4th hour. Generally, you have to stay in hospital for 3 nights. Patients who are discharged on the 4th day should be fed with liquid foods as described by your doctor and dietician for the first 3 weeks after surgery. On the 2nd day after the operation, our dietician will tell you the necessary information about how to eat.
In short, sleeve gastrectomy is the most frequently used and safe surgical method of obesity surgery that can provide the most benefit with the least damage.
Nutrition After Gastric Reduction Surgery
After stomach reduction surgery, a nutrition program should be continued under the guidance of a nutrition and dietitian. It is recommended to consume foods with high vitamin-mineral supplements and nutritional value in order to avoid nutritional deficiency after stomach reduction surgery. It is very important to adhere to the nutrition program both for the health of the patient and for successful weight loss after the surgery.
After stomach reduction surgery, the consumption of solid foods is reduced. For the next year, the patient is given a low-carbohydrate-high protein diet consisting of 3 or 4 stages under the guidance of a nutrition and dietitian. With the stomach reduction surgery, the volume of solid foods that patients will consume is also restricted. In the nutrition program that starts with liquid foods, it is gradually switched to solid foods.
There are some things that the patient should pay attention to in liquid food intake. In particular, consuming liquid foods such as high-calorie, fatty and creamy drinks prevents the patient from losing weight. If calories are exceeded in fluid intake in patients who have had stomach reduction surgery, the patient may stop losing weight and even risk gaining weight.
After Sleeve Gastrectomy
- More meals should be made and small portions should be preferred.
- Food should be chewed very well.
- Regular exercise and sports should be continued.
- Water and other liquid beverages should not be consumed 10-15 minutes before and 20-30 minutes after meals.
- Solid and liquid foods and beverages should not be consumed together at meals.
- It is important to pay attention to the amount of water drinking. If it is necessary to sip in a day, 1 liter of water should be drunk using a straw, the amount of water should be increased to 1.5-2 liters in time.
- Routine checks should not be skipped.
- A diet rich in protein should be applied in the post-operative period.
- Vitamin and mineral supplements recommended by endocrinology, diabetes and metabolic diseases and nutritionists should be taken.